Schweinfurth Art Center is pleased to announce the award winners of its newly opened exhibition, Quilts=Art=Quilts. The winners of the show were selected by prize juror Robert Shaw and jurors Gerri Spilka and Kit Vincent.
Juror’s Choice Awards ($200 each)
• Margaret Abramshe, of St. George, UT; “Nan,” 2017
• Petra Fallaux, of Pittsburgh, PA; “Broken Horizon,” 2018
• Helen Geglio, of South Bend, IN; “So Much Slipping Through Our Fingers,” 2018
Catherin Hastedt Award for Hand Worksmanship ($250)
• Marianne Burr, of Coupeville, WA; “Fragments,” 2018
Shirley Hastedt Award ($250)
• Maggie Vanderweit, of Fergus, Ontario, Canada; “All of Us and Aliens, Too,” 2017
Finger Lakes Fiber Artists’ Award for Surface Design ($300)
• Julia Pfaff, of Richmond VA; “Repeat V,” 2017
Schweinfurth Award for Excellence ($500)
• July Kirpich, of Takoma Park, MD; “Memory Loss No. 1,” 2018
Second Prize ($500)
• Elizabeth Busch, of Glenburn, ME; “Enigma 2,” 2017
First Prize ($750)
• Elke Klein, of Beckingen, Saarland, Germany; “Tiles #13: Rainbow,” 2017
Best of Show ($1,000)
• Karen Schulz, of Silver Spring, MD; “The Way You Occupy Space,” 2017 (detail is shown above)
Quilts=Art=Quilts is sponsored by the Davis Family Trust, Tompkins Financial, and WRVO Public Radio. Prize sponsors are Barbara and Christopher Baker, Deborah Bilinski, David and Patricia Blackwell, Alice Brody, Finger Lakes Fiber Artists, Jim and Janie Hutchinson, Rosalind Kimmich, Michele Lepine, Gerri Spilka, Towpath Quilt Guild, and Dawn Wayne.
Quilts=Art=Quilts will be on display at the Schweinfurth, 205 Genesee St., Auburn, through Jan. 6, 2019. The art center is hosting a second exhibit, our new Member Show, in the second floor Davis Family Gallery beginning at 5 p.m. Nov. 2.
The art center is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays and 1 to 5 p.m. Sundays. Admission to the show is $10 per person, with members, exhibiting artists, and children 12 and under free.
The art center is holding several events related to the two exhibits, including:
• Nov. 2, 2018: First Friday and Member Show opening from 5 to 8 p.m.; free and open to the public
• Nov. 4, 2018: Trunk Show featuring Alice Gant at 2 p.m.; free with exhibit admission
• Nov. 18, 2018: Local Fiber Market from 1 to 5 p.m. with talk by indie dyer Carrie Drake at 3 p.m.; free with exhibit admission
• Nov. 25, 2018: Trunk Show featuring Maggie Vanderweit at 2 p.m.; free with exhibit admission
• Dec. 2, 2018: Trunk Show featuring juror Gerri Spilka at 2 p.m.; free with exhibit admission
• Dec. 7, 2018: First Friday featuring 10-minute talks by artists in the Member Show from 5 to 8 p.m.; free and open to the public
• Dec. 9, 2018: Holiday Traditions from 1 to 5 p.m.; free and open to the public
For more information on any of these events, check our website at myartcenter.org or call 315-255-1553.